Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

♥ DOTS! and some booooooring sheer polish's.... or are they? ♥

DOTS! with Icing Bordeaux and Wet n Wild Disturbia& 1 coat Nailene TC


Here I stretched my previous mani, Icing Bordeaux, using a dotting tool and Wet n' Wild Disturbia. Dots are super - duper easy to do. I first did a diagonal mani by applying Nailene French Tip Guides diagonally across my nails then added 2 coats of Wet n' Wild Disturbia to the tip portion of my nails.

When that was sorta dry I removed the French Tip Guides and started dotting. I found this dotting tool in the scrap-booking section at my favirote dollar store in my town. It is not sold as a dotting tool, it is a ' Embossing Stylus Tool, below is the package it came in and a (small) photo of the actual dotting tool.


 I think that you could use anything with a small round end on it, this thing makes perfect little circles. When i was hunting around for actual dotting tools, none of the beauty supply places had any! I have read that the end of a bobby pin worked well for making dots, too.


Towards the end of this post is some quick skittlez I did using some sheer Sally Hansen polish's. I am mesmerized by some layering I do and have seen..... some of the combos of polish turn out so beautiful.









 ....... and the layering. ALL 1 COAT LAYERED OVER WET N' WILD BLACK {oops!}


Below L - R;

a franken I made with Sally Hansen Opal Truth and an unknown sheer buff shade
SH Xtreme Wear Strawberry Icing
SH Xtreme Wear Lavender Envy
SH Xtreme Wear Lime Lights
SH Xtreme Cotton Candy




Clockwise - Franken, Strawberry Icing, Lavender Envy, Lime Lights and Cotton Candy





1 coat towards the left & 2 coats for the rest of my thumb nail..... this needs a little more clear. Layered over black.

I made this using SH Opal Truth, the same polish I made these 3 frankens with{ 1, 2, 3 }

I think this is a little too milky, but looks okay at 1 coat.... I will be adding alot more clear to this, I couldn't get a great photo of it, but there is alot of multi coloured micro shimmer in there.








Sally Hansen Xtreme wear Strawberry Icing. 1 coat Layered over black

I have tried layering this over girly colours but I think it looks best layered over blues, greens and black. I will have to look for this at the store as I am not sure if it is still available.

It does not have any opalescence, or flash. It is just straight up pinkish glass fleck.














I have worn Strawberry Icing before HERE, and here it is alone at 3 coats




Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Lavender Envy is a gorgeous polish. It is not available in the core line of Xtreme Wear anymore... It should be though. I think when the Xtreme Wear line first came out there was alot of these sheer iridescent & opalescent colours.



This is 1 coat layered over black. This polish looks good layered over everything. HERE is a post layered over Sally Hansen Flirt on my TOES.












Sally Hansen Lime Lights. 1 coat layered over black



I layered this over a dark burgundy polish HERE and it is sooooo pretty. I think that this polish can go a long way in frankening.... So if I get an urge to do some frankening I will be picking up a few bottles of this. The green shimmer is STRONG, and the iridescent flash is super duper strong, too.













Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Cotton Candy, 1 coat layered over Black

I think this is a little too 'milky' to be  a layering polish, but it still looks neat over a darker shade. Kinda like the eyeballs of Zombies in Zombie movies.


















... And thats that. Lavender Envy is in my top 10 favirote polish's... with Lime Lights closely following. I am planning on franken-ing with it to see what I can come up with. I missed out of Maybelline Vanishing Venus but think I got a pretty close dupe layering it over burgundy and deep purple shades. Are there any frankens out the with Lime Lights?


 What are your favirote layering polish's? I love to learn about different layering combos........



13 comments:

Hook Prism Power said...

I think the layering is genious. So pretty! And I love the design with the dots. So modern.

auroragyps said...

I'm very into layering lately, myself. Have some of the sheer colored glitters from Zoya, like Manhattan Mixer, and they work great on darker colors. I also picked up some cheaper polishes at Sally Beauty the past month from Savvy (for $1.99 each US), that are opalescent sheer colored glitters, some really fine & some like teeny flakes. They are amazing. I especially like Magic Pumpkin (a sheer pale peachy orange with green shinner) which I plan to wear over W'n'W Craze in Inferno during the month of October.

Oh, and a really cool layering or frankening combo is a cobalt or royal blue with a sheer peachy/orange shimmered polish. Since they're opposite each other on the color wheel, they really look cool together. I did a franken with an old Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in Cobalt Frost with Sally Hansen Teflon Tough in Tiger Lily Opal. It looks amazing. I need to get a digital camera soon to start taking pics of stuff like this.

Love the blog. So many cool & inexpensive ideas. If only I still lived in Buffalo, NY so I'd have access to Canada's nail polish goodness.

KarenD said...

I adore the dots!

Leticia said...

I love the dots! That looks easy enough for me to try. I am a total newbie when it comes to nail design.

Cosmetics Aficionado

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

What a great post and the dots...I want!!!

ABOP Laquerlove said...

Love the dots!

mrsrexy said...

That looks awesome!

Danielle said...

I love strawberry icing, it is like the missing pink polish from the China Glaze Summer Days Collection! a pink glass flecked polish, so pretty :)

JQ said...

I'm with Danielle on the Strawberry Icing! Great dots! I just got my own "Embossing stylus" in a local craft store too and am itching to use it. :)

Anonymous said...

the mani is amazing and the straweberry colored polish is very pretty :D

Zara said...

I've been looking for a dotting tool, and I haven't found one yet - however, I will keep looking, and now I know that they may not necessarily be labeled as dotting tools, so thanks for that! :)

Also, I love Strawberry Icing and Lime Lights! I got Lime Lights in a giveaway recently, and now I'm really excited to try it.

Lucy said...

Fantastic idea going into the scrapbooking section. I actually have one of those. Now I know what to use. Love the manicure and all of your layering. Very pretty. The only thing I've layered is Hidden Treasures!

Maria said...

love them